The Rocking Rebel doesn’t like Nutella. He’s a little weird that way. He likes beer and steak and strong black coffee and other manly things. But not Nutella. I, on the other hand, love, love, love Nutella! When I first tasted it – I guess I was nine years old? – I just fell head over heels in love! I honestly couldn’t get enough of it and finished a whole jar in one afternoon! It’s just so creamy and chocolatey and nutty and perfect… And my little brother has been an ardent Nutella-addict for years!
In other words, I never thought it was possible to not like Nutella. That is, until I met the Rocking Rebel…
Personally, I go through Nutella phases, in which I hardly eat anything but Nutella (on toast). I can’t imagine that it’s really a healthy thing to do, but sometimes my body just craves Nutella, so yeah, there are days on which I eat Nutella for breakfast, lunch and dessert. The Rocking Rebel? He doesn’t get it… I don’t really know why he doesn’t like Nutella. He just doesn’t.
Buuuuuuut… He LOVES these cookies!
But that’s only because they’re perfect! And delicious. And crumbly. And delicious. And yeah, stuffed with a thick layer of Nutella!
And the best part? They look so innocent! Just like regular peanut butter cookies…
You would never think these babies are stuffed with Nutella, right?
Well, they are. And they’re really easy to make too! I got the recipe from another food blog, called ‘Handle the Heat‘. It’s run by this girl Tessa, who is not only a culinary grad, but also a cookbook author. Apparently, she wrote a cookbook called ‘Cookies and Cream: 100 Ways to Make the Perfect Ice Cream Sandwich’. Sounds promising, right? That’s what I thought…
And if the recipes in her cookbook are as good as this one, I need to get myself a copy! These cookies are a peanut butter lover’s/Nutella lover’s dream come true! They were literally gone within minutes! My brother-in-law didn’t try them, because he’s one of those weird people who don’t like peanut butter (how? how???) and didn’t feel adventurous when I offered him one of these, but everyone else loved them!
Even my Nutella-hater of a boyfriend!
They’re totally irresistible…
So consider yourself warned!
- 100g (or ⅓ cup) Nutella
- 85g (or ⅓ cup + 2 teaspoons) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 50g (or ¼ cup) granulated sugar
- 55g (or ¼ cup, packed) light brown sugar
- 100g (or ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons) peanut butter
- ½ large egg
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 110g (or ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon table salt
- Line a small cookie sheet with baking parchment. Drop fourteen rounded teaspoonfuls of Nutella (I eyeballed this) onto the parchment and place in the freezer for one hour, or until the Nutella is firm.You may have some leftover Nutella.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the butter with the sugars until creamed, about 2 minutes. Add the peanut butter and mix until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix briefly until incorporated.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Take the Nutella out of the freezer and shape the cookies by enveloping each Nutella ball in two teaspoonfuls of cookie dough. Place the cookie dough balls on an unlined cookie sheet and place the sheet in the fridge for twenty minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F (standard oven setting).
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, then press each cookie down with a fork to create a criss-cross pattern. Bake for another 2 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Serve warm!