Hi, I’m Nila. Welcome to my blog!
I’m a home baker, cookie lover, and cake connoisseur based in the Netherlands. And from March 2013 to May 2017 this was where I posted delicious sweet baking recipes from my kitchen! In October 2017, I decided that running a blog wasn’t really for me anymore, and I turned my blog into what it is today: a free online cookbook.
If you’re looking for great recipes, my homepage is a great place to start, especially the section with ‘My Personal Favorites’. Of course, you can also browse my recipe index. And all right, if you want to read all of my recipes from March 2013 to May 2017, you can read my full blog here!
How it all started
I started The Tough Cookie in March 2013 as a place to keep my best recipes and to share them with other foodies. You know, like food bloggers do. However, over the years my blog has become more and more about understanding the science behind baking and using it to develop the best dessert recipes out there. Though I still hate fussy recipes that take forever ????
What’s so special about my recipes?
Before I decided that I didn’t want to blog anymore (more on that here, btw), I tried to help readers become better home bakers.
How I did that? Well…
- With lots of tips.
- With informative post about ingredients, baking methods and kitchen hacks.
- With awesome, inspiring recipes.
You see, I’m a huge food geek and like to get to the bottom of recipes. When I’m making something, I want to understand exactly why a recipe works, and as a result, my posts contain lots of little notes and tips to make sure the recipe works every time. I also love recipes that you can easily adjust to your own personal taste, so I’ve posted a lot of recipes for Cake Building Blocks, which you can mix and match to make your dream cake!
Also very good, my mini series about the science that is caramel making, and my ‘Battle of the Buttercreams’ series. My post on flour buttercream (ermine buttercream) is by far my most popular post! I’ve changed the method of a classic recipe to ensure that the buttercream always comes out super smooth and silky. It’s the best buttercream ever!
Ten more things about me:
- Nila rhymes with sky-la. My name has nothing to do with Nilla wafers.
- My Rocking Rebel boyfriend and I have been together since 2007.
- Our oh-so-precious little Baby Boy was born in November 2015 and he is the cutest toddler ever ????
- My favorite things in the world are dancing around the living room with my son and goofing around with the Rocking Rebel.
- We have a dog named Lucy. She’s a 3-year-old Small Münsterländer and loves swimming more than anything.
- We live in a tiny fourth-floor apartment with a wood burner.
- I have a degree in English literature and my all-time favorite book is ‘Life of Pi’. I tried reading through the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge but I gave up three books in.
- When I have the time, I like to play guitar and sing Katie Melua songs.
- I have a huge family and I’m the unofficial birthday cake baker.
- My favorite cake right now is salted caramel pretzel cake. Yum!
One last thing
One of the best things about blogging was getting in touch with my readers. But social media was not a part of blogging that I loved, so I’ve removed all links to my social media channels from my website. And, because I’m not actively blogging anymore, I’ve disabled new comments on my posts. Last but not least, I no longer have a branded email address, so I’m afraid that getting in touch with me will be… well, let’s put it this way: impossible! ????
But happy baking guys! Enjoy the recipes ????