If you’re still looking for a great ice cream or crumble topping, call off your search. These caramelized oats are just absolute addictive and all you’ll ever want in a topping!
Not only are these oats delicious, they are also incredibly easy to whip up. Simply toss some oats in a grainy, buttery caramel sauce, spread them evenly on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven until beautifully crunchy and crispy. Their delicate, slightly salty caramel flavor works great with warm fruit, such as baked apples or stewed rhubarb, and pairs deliciously with Cinnamon Ice Cream with Grape Ripple.
However, they also make a great addition to a bowl of ordinary cinnamon oats or yogurt! Or sprinkle them over some velvety Zabaglione!
- 60g (or ¼ cup + 1 teaspoon) unsalted butter
- 110g (or ½ cup packed) light brown sugar
- generous pinch of table salt
- 80gr (or 1 cup) oatmeal
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/325°F (standard oven setting). In a small saucepan, combine the butter with the sugar and salt. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Take the pan off the heat, add stir in the oats.
- Spread the oats onto a cookie sheet lined with baking parchment and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, give the oats a good stir with a fork, rotate the baking sheet to ensure even baking and leave the oats to bake for 8 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.