This is the best chocolate mousse recipe I have ever tasted. It’s creamy, fluffy and exceptionally chocolatey. It can be whipped up for extra fluffiness and spooned into individual serving dishes for a dreamy cup of light chocolate mousse topped with cream or fruit, or it can be used un-whipped to make a velvety smooth, rich chocolate mousse cake.
Either way, it’s delicious.
- 10g (or 2½ teaspoons) powdered gelatin*
- 50ml (or 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon) lukewarm water
- 210ml (or ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons) whole milk
- 105g (or 3½ ounces) bittersweet, dark chocolate
- 105g (or 3½ ounces) milk chocolate
- 20g (or 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 210g (or ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon) homemade pastry cream
- 500ml (or 2 cups + 4 teaspoons) heavy whipping cream
- 100g (or ½ cup) granulated sugar
- Sprinkle the powdered gelatin in a shallow dish and pour the water on top of it. Stir with a teaspoon to break up any gelatin lumps and leave to let the gelatin bloom for about ten minutes.
- NOTE: if you're using sheet gelatin, place in cold water and leave to soften for ten minutes.
- In the meantime, gently heat the milk in a small saucepan to around 60°C (140°F). Once the gelatin has bloomed, add the gelatin and the water to the milk and stir to completely dissolve. Let the milk cool to room temperature.
- NOTE: if you're using sheet gelatin, squeeze out the excess water once the gelatin has softened and add it to the milk. Stir to dissolve and proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Gently let the two types of chocolate melt together in the bowl of a double boiler. Check out my tips on faking a double boiler under 'Basics and Tips'.
- In a large bowl, mix together the milk, pastry cream and cocoa. Add the chocolate mixture to the bowl and mix until the mixture has cooled down to body temperature. In another bowl, whip up the cream with the sugar until it holds soft peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until there are no more streaks.
- Optional: mix the mousse until the mixture is cool and has become light and fluffy.
- Use immediately and leave to set in the fridge for at least three hours.