All righty… Healthy Raspberry Blueberry Smoothies. Wait? What was that? Did I just type healthy? That’s right: I did! But don’t panic! I’m still the same carb-loving, sugar-craving peanut butter endulger I was before, I just felt like confessing something to you, so here goes…
Guess what: I don’t just eat sugar. Shocking, I know! In fact, I don’t just eat sweets or dessert. Wait, it gets even worse: I actually really like to eat healthy stuff too! It’s terrible, I know, but I genuinely like oats, quinoa and fruit. Even veggies! I love to roast some cauliflower in the oven, cook up some tomato sauce with plenty of onions and turn everything in some sort of noodle-less, lasagna-like oven dish which tastes absolutely amazing! I also love, love, love beetroot. It tastes just like candy to me. And the color of it just makes me happy!
So yes, I like healthy stuff!
But if there’s one thing that really annoys me, it’s healthy desserts. I don’t like them. Unless they taste absolutely delicious and just accidentally happen to be healthy, like… um… Hang on, just let me think about it… um…
Oh okay, I really don’t know any healthy dessert recipe that just happens to be healthy… Sure, I’ve heard about that supposedly delicious chocolate avocado mousse, but I made it, tasted it and guess what – it was terrible! Wait, let’s make that: TERRIBLE!
Desserts are not meant to be healthy. Cookies are not meant to be healthy. Cake is not meant to be healthy. And trying to make a wholesome dessert is like trying to grow a carrot that’s bad for you… It just doesn’t make any sense!
So, bottom-line: I don’t believe in healthy desserts. Just healthy other-things… The way I see it: healthy food feeds your body, but desserts, cookies, cake and other deliciousness that is so bad for you feeds your soul!
Am I right, chocolate lovers and fellow peanut butter indulgers?
But hey, these smoothies are special! Because of the fact that these things are packed with raspberries and blueberries they taste just like dessert, but unlike proper not-like-weird-and-disgusting-avocado-chocolate-mousse-like desserts, these smoothies not only feed your body, but also you’re dessert-craving soul!
Yay vitamins! Yay sweet fruitiness! Good good good…
One last tip: I don’t like smoothies cold (hello, brain freeze!) so I always add a splash of boiling water, but if you like your smoothies ice cold (and I mean COLD!), make sure all of the fruit is frozen before you add it to the blender and add a few ice cubes to the mix as well!
Click here to sign up to my mailing list.
Click here to follow me on Instagram.
- 300ml (or 1¼ cup) non-fat yogurt
- 1 medium-sized banana, peeled and quartered
- 1 mandarin orange, peeled and segmented
- 70g (or ⅔ of a cup) frozen blueberries
- 70g (or ⅔ of a cup) frozen raspberries
- 3 tablespoons of boiling water, optional
- To a 1-liter (or 1-quart) blender, add the yoghurt and the banana.
- Hold the mandarin segments against the light to check whether they have pips/seeds in them. If they do, use a sharp knife to make a little cut in the segment’s skin and push the seed out. Add the mandarin segments to the blender as well.
- Top with the berries and, if you like your smoothie cold but not too cold, add the boiling water.
- Blitz for about 1 minute, or until smooth. It’s a smoothie we’re making, after all… Divide over 2 glasses and serve immediately.
11/10 IGN would make again
The Tough Cookie says
Haha, good to know! 🙂
Trying to be healthy says
Can you use fresh fruit instead of frozen? And a clementine orange? Thanks!!
The Tough Cookie says
Yep, you certainly can. Add ice cubes if the smoothie is not cold enough 😉