Hey guys, that’s right: the Rocking Rebel and I are expecting our first baby! We are so, so, so, soooo excited! And yes, I’m already thirty weeks along, which means our precious little baby is due to arrive in just ten short weeks! I can’t believe it!
If ever there is a time to use an excessive amount of exclamation points, I think now is it!
If you’re a very careful reader, you may have noticed that I’ve already dropped a few little hints of me having a baby here and there on the blog. Not that I was very clear about it, but if you’ve been reading carefully, you know I had something big coming up. As in, a big baby bump! I meant to tell you guys sooner, right after I finished my thesis, but I wanted to make an official pregnancy announcement post (which is this!) which took me a bit longer than I thought….
But now you know!
The Rocking Rebel and I actually found out that I was pregnant on the day that my mom and I left for Lanzarote, last March. It was crazy! Of course, we decided to tell my my mom straight away, on our way to the airport. I’m so glad we did, because my pregnancy was basically all I could think of that week. And since I wasn’t able to talk to the Rocking Rebel about it (I missed him sooooo much), I was really glad that I could talk to my mom about it, who was super happy with the news, by the way!
Once back home, the Rocking Rebel and I finally had a little celebration of our own and spent hours talking about our new baby. It’s so weird to realize that you’re going to be a parent for the first time! Crazy…
Anyway, so far, my pregnancy has been a breeze. Apart from the occasional queasiness in my first trimester, one massive pimple, and the sudden, overwhelming sleepiness that hits me every now and then, I’ve been doing great! In fact, in my experience, pregnancy comes with a lot of perks:
- you get to bounce around on a Swiss ball whenever, wherever. I’m doing it right now, actually!
- people suddenly have the unstoppable urge to give you things. For example, my mom and mother-in-law took me shopping for baby and maternity clothes! Really, I should wear a sign that says “sponsored my MOM and MIL”.
- your family tears up with emotion just about every time your bump enters a room (followed by you, of course). Awwwww!
But sure, let’s face it: there are also a few weird things about being pregnant. Such as:
- that weird stage in your pregnancy where you just look bloated and fat, not pregnant.
- that weird stage in your pregnancy when you literally have to roll yourself out of bed every morning because your belly gets in the way.
- that moment when you suddenly realize that you can no longer tie your own shoe laces.
- people feeling the need to call you ‘huge’. I can’t imagine there’s even a single woman who likes to be called ‘huge’. So inconsiderate! What’s worse, when those people are in fact a lot bigger than you. And not pregnant….
- not being able to eat and drink everything you like. Like a glass of red wine. Or smoked salmon. Or a medium-rare steak. Or even cake batter! To be honest, I haven’t given up cake batter. Or eggs sunny-side-up, for that matter…
Then there are the things that are just so crazy and insane that you can’t even believe they’re happening to you:
- seeing your baby for the first time on the ultrasound. Ours was just about dancing around inside the womb!
- the first time you feel your baby moving in your belly. I first felt our baby at seventeen weeks, which is crazy early, yet it was unmistakably our baby!
- when you realize your Rocking Rebel (or am I the only one with a Rocking Rebel) is going to be a dad!
Really guys, being pregnant has been crazy! I’m so glad you guys know now!