I first made this orange syrup when I was making the Crowned King’s Cake. It has an intense, sweet yet tangy orange flavor and it can be dabbed onto cake layers to keep them moist and give them a little orange zing, or it can be generously poured over a cake to create an orange syrup cake.
Orange Simple Syrup
This recipe makes ¾ of a cup.
Author: The Tough Cookie
- 120ml (or ½ cup) water
- 60ml (or ¼ cup) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 50g (or ¼ cup) granulated sugar
- Combine the water, sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan and heat over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar has completely dissolved and the syrup is clear, take the pan off the heat and pour the syrup in a mug to cool to room temperature. Let the syrup cool to room temperature before placing it in the fridge until use.
- The syrup will keep, tightly sealed in the fridge, for at least 2 weeks.