Okay, so once you made yourself some of that delicious, gorgeous, caramely, white-chocolatey, slightly nutty, golden, beautiful caramelized white chocolate, what can you do with it? Besides crumbling it up and serving it as chunks, that is…
Well, you could make yourself a huge mug of Caramelized White Hot Chocolate! I haven’t tried it yet, but it’s definitely on my to-make list. Maybe tonight…
You could also make yourself some Caramelized White Chocolate Chip Cookies, using caramelized white chocolate chunks instead of ordinary chocolate chips. Maybe throw in some hazelnuts or pecans in there too… I haven’t tried this either, but I’m going to have to make those cookies some time soon!
Or maybe some other time, ’cause hey, it’s been a gorgeous sunny day and not a gorgeous, sunny winter’s day, but an actual sunny day! As in: the Rocking Rebel and I took Lucy for a long walk in the forest without wearing a coat! I even had to take off my cardigan at some point because it was so hot!
So, I think you can imagine what’s been on my mind today: a big bowl of ice cream, drizzled with some delicious Caramelized White Chocolate Ganache! And ‘ganache’ is really just a fancy word for delicious chocolate sauce…
Okay, so I guess it’s pretty clear that I won’t be enjoying this particular bowl of ice cream tonight. On days like these, I need more than a single scoop. Even if it is drizzled with beautifully golden ganache. I’m thinking two scoops, at least. Maybe three. Or four…
I don’t know. I guess it all depends on how much fried rice with chicken and peanut sauce I’m having for dinner.
Anyway, this ganache is really easy to make. It’s probably one of the easiest things to do with caramelized white chocolate. Well, crumbling it up and serving it as chunks is probably easier, but making ganache is really easy too. Just a matter of heating up a little cream and salt and pouring it over the chocolate, stirring and maybe heating a little more until the chocolate has completely melted.
After that it’s just a matter of pouring it over your favorite ice cream. Or cupcake. Or cookies. What about Caramelized White Chocolate Cookies with a Salted Caramelized White Chocolate Drizzle?
Anyway, back to the ice cream…
I tried this ganache with a few different flavors of ice cream. Strawberry was my favorite. By far! I think the sweet ganache pairs really well with the tangy, fruity ice cream. I imagine this ganache would also be great with cream cheese ice cream or even frozen yogurt… I just love the combination of tangy and sweet! When I was a kid, I used to make homemade straciatella yogurt by adding chocolate sprinkles to yogurt. Sure, it was far from haute causine and it definitely didn’t taste anything like the stuff you can buy at the supermarket nowadays, but it was really good anyway!
Having said that, this ganache also goes really well with some dark chocolate ice cream or even some plain vanilla ice cream! Whatever flavor floats your boat!
Or, um, whatever flavor you happen to have in your freezer. Let’s face it guys, it’s caramelized white chocolate ganache. It’s pretty hard to go wrong with that!
- 200g (or 7 ounces) caramelized white chocolate, broken into chunks
- 100ml (or ⅓ cup + 4 teaspoons) whipping cream
- a pinch of sea salt
- Add the caramelized white chocolate chunks to the bowl of a double boiler. Don't heat just yet.
- Combine the salt and whipping cream in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring until the salt has dissolved and the cream reaches scalding point. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate chunks.
- Place the bowl of the double boiler (with the chocolate and cream mixture) over a the bottom pan of the double boiler and heat gently, stirring until all the chocolate chunks have dissolved into the cream mixture and the ganache is smooth.
- Serve immediately, drizzled over ice cream, cake or cookies, mix it into some buttercream to make a great cake filling or use it in a dessert!