I’ve never really been a fan of white hot chocolate. To me, white hot chocolate always seemed like an unnecessary drink. Why would you want white hot chocolate if you can have dark hot chocolate? Don’t get me wrong, I love white chocolate and I would never even think about joining a White-Chocolate-Haters Club, but liquid white chocolate just never really interested me.
Well, not until a week ago, that is, when I stumbled upon a post on caramelized white hot chocolate on The Chocolate Apprentice. I just knew I had to make it!
And man, am I glad I did!
This stuff is amazing. Sure, it doesn’t look like much – it actually looks a little weird, because a layer of caramelized cocoa butter will from on top if the hot chocolate is left to sit undisturbed for a couple of minutes – but it tastes amazing! In fact, I think this stuff is better than a cup of good old dark hot chocolate. It’s that good!
It is super smooth and silky and creamy and it tastes like white chocolate, caramel, cookies, vanilla and all things good and perfect in the world! It’s the best!
Especially sprinkled with a little more caramelized white chocolate crumbs.
And about that layer of caramelized cocoa butter on top of the milk, it may not look very attractive, but it’s actually delicious! Plus, you can easily stir it back into the milk before taking a sip… Once stirred, the caramelized white hot chocolate kind of looks like a stirred latte!
Come to think of it, I don’t have any experience with lattes… My knowledge of lattes is actually based on a Google Image search… Does it look like a stirred latte?
Well, at any rate it looks a lot more appealing, right?
To make this little treat you obviously need some caramelized white chocolate. It’s awesome. As a matter of fact, I only planned on doing the one post on caramelized white chocolate, but once I tasted it, I really wanted to experiment a little with it and I guess the experimenting kind of turned into a series of post on caramelized white chocolate.
First, I made Caramelized White Chocolate Ganache, to drizzle over ice cream. I then decided to take the whole ice cream thing a step further and made Caramelized White Chocolate Ice Cream. And here I am, posting about caramelized white hot chocolate!
I wish I could also use the caramelized white chocolate in some cookies, but I’m all out…
I can’t even make myself another cup of caramelized white hot chocolate!
Oh well, a cup of tea with a blueberry muffin then…
- 780ml (or 3¼ cup) whole milk
- 170g (or 6 ounces) caramelized white chocolate
- caramelized white chocolate crumbles to decorate, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk and 170g of caramelized white chocolate. Gently heat over low heat, stirring slowly with a whisk to dissolve the chocolate.
- If you like, you can whisk the mixture vigorously to create a layer of milk foam on top of the hot chocolate.
- Once the chocolate has dissolved, crank the heat up to medium-high and heat until hot. Don't allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and divide the hot chocolate over 4 mugs. Sprinkle with some caramelized white chocolate crumbles and serve immediately.